According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Millennials are now the largest generation in the U.S. workforce. As of 2017, there were 56 million Millennials (ages 22-37) working or looking for work — over one-third of the workforce.
With a growing need for our workforce to be trained and upskilled, conferences can play an important role in employee development.
To get Millennials to attend conferences and join our organizations, we must create more engaging and technologically focused offerings to meet this market segment who are interested in experiences, involvement and engagement.
7 Conference Best Practices
- Define and communicate the purpose and mission of the event to prove ROI. Create downloadable “Convince Your Boss” letters.
- Personalizing strategies – who are the sessions designed for? Are they interactive to engage attendees? Is there time for connection and conversation? How can attendees connect with other attendee segments and interests onsite?
- Purposeful experience – well-being activities, social impact days to give back to the community.
- Performances and offsite events at museums or local attractions.
- Enhanced conference technology including chatbots, 5G internet, wearable technology, real-time data, creative room design with technology access and charging stations, mobile apps.
- Nutrition, mindfulness and wellness: planning for dietary requirements; creating time for “brain breaks” – doodling, coloring, outside walks, Legos.
- Engage attendees using gamification – there are many gamers in this segment of the workforce.
Here are some additional resource articles on meeting trends to generate more ideas for your conference.
As our attendees and stakeholders continue to shift, associations must change up our conferences to not only maintain registration numbers but to take them to a whole new level: driving community, engagement and membership. Over one-third of the workforce and those who need education, community and engagement the most are counting on us to drive innovation and offer engaging and memorable experiences using trends and technology.